Katie Leung (The Peripheral): Bio, Wiki, Age, Family, Career, Net Worth and More
Katie Leung is a Scottish actress who portrays Cho Chang in the Harry Potter films.
She appeared in the 2017 film T2: Trainspotting, also starring Kelly Macdonald and Shirley Henderson. Leung holds two BA degrees in photography and theatre, which she obtained from the Edinburgh College of Art and the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, respectively.
Katie Leung (The Peripheral): Bio
Katie Leung’s father, Peter Leung, is a Hong Kong-born businessman and restaurateur who established a company in Glasgow. Her mother, Kar Wai Li, is a banker.
Katie was born in Dundee, which is located in Scotland. After her mother moved back to Hong Kong when she was three, she continued to live in Scotland with her father, stepmother, and the rest of her siblings.
This was after her parents had divorced when she was three years old. As a result of the work that her father did, Leung spent her childhood in a number of different cities in Scotland, including Ayr, Hamilton, and Motherwell. After elementary school, she received her secondary education at Hamilton College.
Katie Leung (The Peripheral): Early Life
Katie was born in Dundee, Scotland on August 8, 1987 to parents Peter and Kar Wai Li Leung. She spent the majority of her youth in Motherwell, which is located in North Lanarkshire.
Her parents split when she was a child, and she spent her formative years living with her Hong Kong-born father, her stepmother, her brother Jonathan, and her three half-siblings, Nichole, Darren, and Will.
Her mother remarried and moved to the United States. In addition to operating a restaurant in Glasgow, her father also owns a wholesale business that specializes in Chinese cuisine.
Cantonese and Mandarin are two of the other languages that Leung is fluent in in addition to English. Leung received his education at Hamilton College, a prestigious private institution located in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. At the moment, she may be seen residing in London.
Katie has traveled to a number of different nations, some of which include the United States of America, Japan, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, and Finland.
Katie Leung (The Peripheral): Height and Weight
Katie Leung has a height of 5 feet and 4 inches and weighs approximately 53 kilograms. In a similar vein, she has a toned body with a chest that measures 34 inches, a waist that measures 23 inches, and hips that measure 34 inches. She possesses dark brown eyes in addition to her jet black hair.
Katie Leung (The Peripheral): Family
Katie Leung’s Parents are Peter and Kar Wai Li Leung. Peter Leung is the man’s name, and he is a businessperson by trade. Her father is her inspiration.
Katie Leung is shown here with her Dad.
Kar Wai Li Leung is the name of the woman who raised her, and she works as a banker in Hong Kong.
There are two brothers and one sister in her family; their names are Darren Leung and Jonathan Leung. Her sister’s name is Nichole Leung. Katie Leung is not currently in a committed relationship with anyone. The name Eric Caira belongs to her lover.
Katie Leung (The Peripheral): Controversy
Katie Leung disclosed in March 2021 that following her appearance in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, she was subjected to a significant amount of racist harassment and abuse.
The on-screen kiss that took place between Katie and Daniel Radcliffe, who played Harry Potter, got a great deal of attention from the media. Katie was the target of racist comments, while receiving acclaim from a large number of Harry Potter enthusiasts.
There was a website dedicated to making racist comments about Katie that was given the name “I Hate Katie.” Katie was instructed by her publicist to express her disagreement over the matter in the event that she was questioned regarding it.
Katie Leung (The Peripheral): During an Interview, She Stated That
I can still clearly recall them saying to me, “Oh, look, Katie, we haven’t seen these, these websites that people are talking about.” You should always respond in this manner if you are questioned about it: “No, that’s not true.”
Say it’s not happening, And I did little more than nod my head. Despite the fact that I had witnessed it with my own two eyes, I responded with a “Okay, okay.” After that, I thought, “Okay, fine, I’ll just say everything’s fantastic,” and I left it at that.
Katie Leung (The Peripheral): Career
- Leung’s father noticed an advertisement for a casting call for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and recommended she try out. She spent four hours in line for a five-minute audition, while knowing she had little chance of getting the part. She was summoned back for a workshop two weeks later and cast as Cho Chang, beating out over 3,000 other girls for the role.
- In hindsight, she remarked in an interview with the Daily Record that her Scottish accent most likely provided her an edge in the casting, since the casting director asked the girls who attended the audition, “Is there anybody here from Scotland?” Only Leung raised her hand.
- In a 2011 interview, Leung said that her favorite memory of the Harry Potter experience was the first audition, since both of her parents, who were divorced at the time, attended. “It was a pretty special occasion since my parents hadn’t seen one other in a long, long time,” Leung said.
- In an unusual move toward a market that was not accustomed to regular celebrity visits at the time, Warner Bros. dispatched Leung to China in the film’s second week of release in order to strongly promote Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
- Leung read the short audio narrative Off Course for Bibliophone in June 2021. The narrative was chosen as the winner of a charity writing competition to benefit the Scottish Refugee Council.
- Leung has since had recurring parts in the Alibi series Annika as DC Blair Ferguson, the Netflix series Arcane as Caitlyn, and the Amazon Prime Video series The Peripheral as Ash.
- She’s also linked to a planned Paramount+ series adaptation of Simon Beckett’s book The Chemistry of Death, but her character is yet unknown.
Katie Leung (The Peripheral): Awards & Achievements
- Top 4 Outstanding Newcomer Award at Asian Excellence Award in 2006
- Scotland’s Most Stylish Female in 2007
- No. 80 on the Cosmogirl’s Hot 100 List in 2007
- BAFTA Breakthrough Brits 21 in 2014
Katie Leung (The Peripheral): Filmography
|2011||Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2||Cho Chang|
|2009||Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Video game)||Cho Chang|
|Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince|
|2008||Agatha Christie’s Poirot (Cat Amongst The Pigeons)||Hsui Tai|
|2007||Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)||Cho Chang|
|Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix|
|2005||Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire|
Katie Leung (The Peripheral): Net Worth
It is estimated that Katie Leung has a net worth of five million dollars. Because of her work in the entertainment industry, she has amassed a significant amount of fortune. You have been provided with some new facts that you should investigate and give some thought to.
The actress, who is now 35 years old and has been working in the entertainment industry for the past two decades, has appeared in a number of critically acclaimed films as well as critically acclaimed television series, including the Harry Potter films, which are among the most commercially successful films of all time.
View this post on Instagram
|Full Name||Katie Liu Leung|
|Net Worth||$5 Million|
|Date of Birth||8 August 1987|
|Age||35 Years Old|
|Birth Place||Dundee, United Kingdom|
|Currently Live In||London|
|Profession||Actress and Model|
|Debut||TV Series: Agatha Christie’s Poirot (2008)
Film: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
|Years Active||2004 – Present|
|Famous Role||Cho Chang in the Warner Brothers feature film Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)|
|School/High School||Local High School in Scotland|
|College/University||Edinburgh College of Art and Royal Conservatoire of Scotland|
- In her spare time, she likes to shop, play guitar and piano, listen to music, and spend time with her family and friends.
- She is fond of animals and owns a pet dog named Bao the Cloud.
- A self-confessed introvert, Katie is soft-spoken and spends most of her time watching films and playing video games while sipping wine.
- Katie is interested in painting and photography since childhood and often posts pictures of her painting on her social media accounts.
- According to Katie, her Scottish accent became an advantage for her to bag the role of ‘Cho’ in the Harry Potter series, as, during the auditions of the film, the casting director demanded to know if there was someone from Scotland; Katie was the only girl from Scotland.
- In the second week of the release of ‘Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,’ the makers of the film sent Katie to China in an attempt to promote Harry Potter.
- Katie Leung gave her voice to ‘Cho Chang’s’ character in the video games Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009).
- After the end of the Harry Potter series, Katie decided that she did not want to take her acting career any further, wishing to attend an art school. However, after she acted in the theatre play ‘Wild Swans,’ her views on acting changed and she enrolled for a drama course at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.
- In 2007, she raised over $137,000 by launching a children’s art competition and donating her painting (auctioned at almost $1300) to help The Prince’s Trust charity in Scotland.
- In 2009, she submitted a picture called ‘Untitled,’ which was captured by her, to the i:click 2009 competition by Sightsavers International, a charitable organization that works to tackle blindness in poor countries.
- Along with her other charitable works, she promotes and helps raise funds for the London-based Chinese community center Just Giving, which is working to improve the quality of life and well-being of the Chinese community in the UK, especially disadvantaged and vulnerable people. The organization also focuses on preserving the Chinese culture, arts, and identity.
- She is a polyglot and can speak English, Cantonese, and Mandarin, fluently.
- According to Katie, playing a part in the American comedy series Modern Family or a film directed by Sofia Coppola and Lars Von Trier is her dream role.