John Stearns: Is He Sick? Badass Baseball Manager And Former Player’s Health and Illness Update

Due to the fact that John Stearns is currently battling a life-threatening disease, his devoted followers are experiencing increased anxiety.

Former baseball player Stearns, well known by his nickname “Bad Dude,” is now retired. Between the years 1975 and 1984, he spent his professional baseball career playing with the New York Mets of Major League Baseball.

Stearns was an extremely productive catcher during his career, as seen by the fact that he hit 46 home runs. He was selected as an all-star in 1977, 1979, 1980, and 1982, giving him a total of four accolades in this category.

After he had completed his athletic career, Stearns took a position with the Seattle Mariners as the catching coordinator. Before being promoted to his current position as Lloyd McClendon’s third base coach, he was also given the role of acting manager of the Tacoma Rainiers.

John Stearns
John Stearns

Is there something wrong with John Stearns? His Illness Details

John Stearns has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, but it is anticipated that he will make a full recovery in the near future. In January of 2022, a potentially fatal condition was identified in him as the cause of his symptoms.

Stearns had a broken hip as a result of a fall that occurred in April of this year. Additionally, he had an operation for a hernia earlier on in this year.

The New York Mets have stated that Stearns is afflicted with an illness that has the potential to take his life, but they are keeping their fingers crossed that he will make a speedy recovery.

Stearns’ career-ending injuries did not keep him away from baseball for an especially extended period of time after he left the game. Late in 1986, the Milwaukee Brewers decided to take a chance on him and sign him on as a scout as well as a coach for their minor league team.

In addition, the first of many ailments that would plague him throughout the whole of his career brought a stop to his 1980 season. Stearns began the year 1981 in the same position he had finished the previous year in, which is to say on the disabled list.

The Current Status of John Stearns’ Health in 2022

Although John Stearns is currently unwell, doctors anticipate that he will make a speedy recovery. In May of this year, his group had published an official notification on their website.

After undergoing therapy, Stearns was interviewed, and throughout the course of the conversation, the “Bad Guy” shared some encouraging news with his devoted followers.

John Stearns is now undergoing treatment for cancer of the prostrate. He maintains an upbeat attitude on her speedy recovery.

He stated, “If the word is out that I have cancer and that people are anxious about my passing away straight away, it is absolutely fantastic that they would reach out to me. In addition to that, it gives me the inspiration to fight even harder.”

Afterwards, he elaborated, saying, “Because I’m going to fight this.”

Stearns had surgery to repair a hiatal hernia prior to beginning his coaching duties for the spring season. However, his recovery took significantly longer than expected, and on March 7, 2014, he was finally forced to resign from his position.

The Story Behind John Stearns’s Family, Including His Wife and Children

John Hardin Stearns was born in Denver, Colorado, on August 21, 1951. He was welcomed into the world by his parents, Carle and Joan, who instilled in him a lifelong love of athletic competition from an early age. He had explained that participating in sporting activities was nothing more than something that ran in his family for generations.

In addition to this, Bill, who is John’s older brother, was a professional baseball player who caught for the New York Yankees from 1971 to 1977. He spent the latter four seasons of his career playing at the Class AAA level.

Their younger brother Rick played linebacker for the Colorado Buffaloes, while their younger sister Carla excelled as a catcher for the University of Northern Colorado softball team.

Along the same lines, Stearns tied the knot with Martha Jo in the city of Boulder, Colorado. They chose to go on their honeymoon in Japan because Stearns was playing in a major league all-star game there at the same time. The couple’s son also goes by the name Justin. Justin is a common name these days.

It is now believed that John Stearns has an income or net worth that falls between between $1 million and $5 million at the present time.

In a similar vein, he has amassed an incredible fortune as a direct result of the primary career he has held throughout his life, which is that of a baseball player.

John Stearns
John Stearns

John Stearns Injuries

It was the first of many ailments that would plague him for the rest of his career, and the one that ended his 1980 season was the first of those injuries. Stearns began 1981 the same way he finished 1980, which was by being placed on the disabled list. After he had been sidelined for the first two weeks of the season, his return to the lineup consisted of pinch-hitting and playing first base and third base. When the strike in Major League Baseball in 1981 began in the middle of June, it ended up canceling two months of the season. By the time he finally started catching regularly again in late May, he was doing fairly well at the plate. Stearns concluded the season with a respectable.271 average, but his run production was far lower than it was in 1980, and he had only 14 extra-base hits for the entire season. Play was resumed in the middle of August.

It appeared as though Stearns would revert to the strategy he used in 1980 in 1982, since his batting average was once again at or above.300 for the majority of the first half of the season. Again, he was on course to have approximately 40 doubles, and he was even on pace to steal nearly 30 bases. Stearns got selected for his fourth All-Star Game when he was 30 years old. After the hiatus, he returned to striking with great success, but after a month, he started to feel the consequences of elbow tendonitis. After going on the injured list in the middle of August, he was only able to make three appearances as a pinch runner for the rest of the season.

The elbow injury that Stearns suffered in 1982 and caused him to miss the rest of the season ultimately ruined his career. He was unable to participate in the opening games of the 1983 season and was placed on the disabled list in the middle of April. Due to his inability to throw, he was only used as a pinch runner in a total of four games. In 1984, he had a brief stint with the Triple A Tidewater team, and during the first five months of the season, he played in only one major league game. In September, he was eventually able to return to action, but he was only able to play on an as-needed basis. After the conclusion of the season, the Mets made a deal with the Montreal Expos to acquire Gary Carter in exchange for Hubie Brooks, Mike Fitzgerald, Herm Winningham, and Floyd Youmans. After becoming a free agent, Stearns tried to make a comeback with the Ponce Lions of the Winter League, but he ended up reinjuring his elbow and had to leave the team. Another attempt at a comeback in 1985 was going well for him with the Cincinnati Reds’ AAA Denver Zephyrs until he was struck by a pitch in the middle of May. John Stearns retired from baseball in 1986 after making one more try at a return with the Texas Rangers during spring training.

John Stearns Post-retirement Journey

Stearns’s career-ending injuries did not prevent him from returning to baseball for a significant amount of time. In the latter part of 1986, the Milwaukee Brewers decided to hire him on their staff as a scout and an instructor for the minor leagues. During the 1989 season, he worked as the bullpen coach for the New York Yankees. After that, the Toronto Blue Jays organization chose to put him in charge of their AA affiliate in Knoxville, the Knoxville Blue Jays, for the years 1990 and 1991. Under his leadership, the team qualified for the postseason in 1991.

1992 was the year that Stearns worked as a scout for the Cincinnati Reds, and 1993 was the year that he became an ESPN broadcaster. In the year 1994, he made his way back to the Reds organization, this time serving as the manager of the Reds’ rookie-level team, the Princeton Reds. Stearns was recognized as the Appalachian League’s Manager of the Year after his team’s triumph in the championship tournament. After that, Stearns managed the Peoria Javelinas of the Arizona Fall League and led them to the league championship. This was the second championship that Stearns had won in the minor leagues this year. Following that, Stearns worked for the Baltimore Orioles organization from 1996 until 1998, serving as both a scout and a first base coach during that time.

During the 2001 season, Stearns played for the Mets.

In 1999, Stearns rejoined the New York Mets organization, this time serving as an advance scout for the team. After that, in the year 2000, he was given the position of bench coach for the Mets. After the conclusion of the season, he was let go from his position as third base coach, although he was later brought back. When Stearns was a coach for the Mets in the year 2000, younger fans had the opportunity to see how enthusiastic and excited he could get. When Mike Piazza of the Mets hit a run-scoring double in Game 1 of the National League Championship Series against the St. Louis Cardinals in 2000, the broadcaster was wearing a microphone for Fox television. The game was being played at Citi Field. The Mets went on to win the series by a score of four games to one, and Stearns’ audible exclamation of “The monster is out of the cage!” became a rallying cry for the team during the whole of the competition.

After working as a coach with the Mets in the major leagues for two years, Stearns was terminated from his position but was later hired as a scout for the 2002 season. In 2003, he took over the managerial responsibilities of the Binghamton Mets and made his way back into the dugout. Even though he had a terrible track record with AA Binghamton, he was given the managerial position of the AAA Norfolk Tides for the 2004 season. During the 2005 season, Stearns worked for the Mets as a roving catching instructor.

Stearns severed his links with the Mets on January 11, 2006, and shortly thereafter accepted a position as a coach in the minor league system of the Washington Nationals. He managed the Nationals’ double-A team, the Harrisburg Senators, for two seasons before managing the Nationals’ triple-A affiliate, the Columbus Clippers, for one season. He also managed the Clippers’ triple-A affiliate.

Stearns was hired by the Mariners in 2011 to serve as the coordinator of catching in the minor leagues. In 2012, he was promoted to the position of professional scout. After Daren Brown replaced third-base coach Jeff Datz at his position due to Datz’s cancer diagnosis, was named the interim manager of the Triple-A Tacoma Rainiers on May 2, 2013. This came about after Daren Brown replaced Datz. Stearns was given the position of third base coach for the Mariners for the 2014 season, however he resigned from his position prior to the start of the season so that he could recover from surgery. Rich Donnelly took over in his stead after he resigned.

Leave a Comment

error: Content is protected !!